There are a lot of qualified, specialized volunteers that can intervene in disasters, but presently there is no simple system for managing these resources, accessible to NGOs and competent authorities both. Because of the unpredictability of disaster events, we can’t know where all these volunteers would be when disaster strikes, how many would still be able to deploy and how they could be validated if they do not have volunteer credentials with them at the time. Even if they had their credentials available, field relief coordinators do not have the technical capacity to validate volunteers other than through mobile devices. Furthermore, the uncertainty of network availability in the case of a disaster event would make this process even more difficult.
DRM Volunteer is a mobile app that allows first responders (the gendarmerie, police, firefighters etc.) to validate volunteers offering to help in the field. The tech solution allows for the management of volunteer human resources, helping authorities theoretically know the extent and location of auxiliary response capacity that civil society organizations can offer.
The System has two types of users:
a) The ESD admin, who has a simple way to follow the human resources available at any time and request an updated status from NGO partners as well as interact with them through notifications and alert
b) The field agent who has a dedicated account that can validate volunteers, add and administer spontaneous volunteers as well as message volunteers in a certain geographical area
As an admin
with the help of this app I can:
- access the app from both a mobile and web browser.
- create organisational accounts for every NGO that equips me with volunteers.
- send reminders both automatically and manually to each NGO or volunteer
- add volunteers in the platform
- edit the profile of every volunteer
- import large databases with volunteers in a few easy steps
- easily find contacts for every organisation and volunteer
- perform searched in the database with teh use of basic filtering
- export the database in an accessible format
As a field agent
with the help of the application I can:
- access the app on both a mobile device and a desktop
- create an in-app organization account with credentials I receive from the DSU
- view volunteer lists and filter them on several criteria
- add spontaneous volunteers into the app and assign them to a geographic area
- edit the allocation of any volunteer
- look at all the volunteers of an organization from a region from a particular specialization and send them alerts
- send personalized alerts at the volunteer level or group of volunteers with media files